Tuesday, February 24, 2009

This Recession Joe!!


I was broke before that recession, and I don't see much difference between then and now. The thing about being broke is, if you've been broke enough you know how to survive, on these nickles and dimes to the point where it looks as if you not broke. So even though its a drought right now, Im still finding away to get money. So you can to....Now Im not trained economist, by I do know a few basic things...and I am torn as to whether or not I agress with the stimulus and that basic shit thats going on. I realize that it is politically unacceptable to do nothing. Everyone want to get reelected, so their jobs kinda depended on it, but this all this government intervention does not seem like the right thing to do. Think about, we built this system, where by we let the market solve its own problems. Thus, if we keep proping up Citibank, Detroit, etc, how can the market effectively eleminate this unviable insitutions? If the market doesn't do that then it seems to me the problems with the economy are not going to disapate. 

Many cite the great depression as the model where government spending, brought the nation out of a major recession. Which is the Keynesian theory as to how the US shoud have gotten out of the recession. However Keynes himself  acknowledges that if it where not of the massive spending of WWII, the US governemnt would have not spent enough to lift the nation of the grips of the rescession. Conversely, many conserative economist, argue that the excessive spending done by the government during the recession that in fact prolonged it. These economist, cite a recession that occured in the early 1920's, during which that government took next to no action. This recession that lasted just under a year and had many of the same precursers as the great depression.

 Now I am aware of some of the European models, of governemnt support if private sector interest. However, the key difference is these governments, full out nationalized these entities. Now if the US government does that, then that opens a new discussion. However we are current creating what are being called, "zombie banks", I do not fully understand what a zombie bank is, but I am assuming that this entities are mindless, and directless at the moment.

Everyday, I lean more and more to the ideal that we need to let failing insitutions fail and new viable ones spring forth. It is the time between the falling and the rising that scares me. I hope that I am wrong in saying that this is going to get worst before it get better, and that president Obama is right, in saying that this is the being of the end.  

No comments: